The Best Christmas Present in the World, by Michael Morpurgo
- What is ‘the best Christmas present in the world’ that gives the book its title? There may be more than one answer to this question.
- The story revolves around a letter found in a roll top desk. Who wrote the letter, who was it for and when was it written?
- Why do you think that the soldiers on both sides stopped the fighting and came out of their trenches to celebrate Christmas together?
- What things does Jim talk about in his letter that show how similar the men from the two different armies were to each other?
- Write your own story about finding a letter from long ago and what happens as a result of finding the letter.
- Why do you think the person telling the story goes off in search of Connie Macpherson?